We welcome the student whose study at Hartwick has ended and wishes to request readmission to return.

To be considered for readmission, please complete the following steps at least 15 business days prior to the desired date of reentry:

  1. Contact Financial Aid and Student Accounts to discuss cost of attendance and your financial aid eligibility (this is required for students that are returning with a cumulative GPA less than 2.000).
  2. Contact your Academic Advisor and determine which courses you will need to take when you return.
  3. Complete and submit the Application for Readmission.
  4. Request that official transcripts from colleges or universities attended while away from Hartwick College to be sent to the Office of the Registrar.
  5. If you are applying for readmission from an academic dismissal you must provide an additional essay describing any and all activities in which you have been engaged during your time away from Hartwick that you believe will contribute positively to achieving your academic goals.

The review process will begin when your application and official transcripts (if applicable) have been received. All correspondence/inquiries and transcripts should be directed to the Office of the Registrar, Hartwick College, Oneonta, NY 13820.  You can reach us at 607-431-4460 or  Once all application materials have been received, a decision on your readmission will be communicated to you within 3 business days.

Returning after a leave that expired?

A student who desires to return to Hartwick College after being away for a period of time that exceeded the maximum leave period must apply for readmission. 

Pending graduate returning to complete your remaining degree requirements?

A student who was placed on a pending graduate status that is still in effect (they are issued for one year starting the day after the last term of attendance) should contact the Office of the Registrar directly to discuss how the outstanding requirements will be completed. A student who was placed on a pending graduate status that expired must apply for readmission.

Returning to complete a second degree?

A student who has graduated from Hartwick and wishes to return to complete a second degree must apply for readmission through the Registrar's Office. Upon readmission the student is considered a transfer and up to 60 of his or her prior Hartwick credits may be applied toward the new degree.

Seeking readmission after academic dismissal?*

A student who has been academically dismissed is eligible to apply for readmission one calendar year after the date of dismissal. The decision to readmit rests with the Registrar who will determine your eligibility to return wiithin three business days of receipt of all application materials.  Note that the Registrar reserves the right to forward your application materials to the Committee on Academic Standards (CAS) to make a final decision on your readmission. If your application is forwarded to CAS you will be notified immediately and provided with a timeline indicating when your application will be heard. If your application is forwarded to CAS, you will be notified within three business days of their decision.

Please note that readmission is not guaranteed.

*If  courses are taken at a different college or university during the period of enforced absence, you may ask to transfer these credits upon your return. If the institution and courses are suitable, courses with grades of C or better may be transferred.